Friday, October 16, 2009

Sweeter than Honey

Psalm 19:9-11 (New International Version)

9 The fear of the LORD is pure,
enduring forever.
The ordinances of the LORD are sure
and altogether righteous.

10 They are more precious than gold,
than much pure gold;
they are sweeter than honey,
than honey from the comb.

11 By them is your servant warned;
in keeping them there is great reward.


Psalm 119:102-104 (New International Version)

102 I have not departed from your laws,
for you yourself have taught me.

103 How sweet are your words to my taste,
sweeter than honey to my mouth!

104 I gain understanding from your precepts;
therefore I hate every wrong path.

King David declares that the fear of the Lord, and the commands of the Lord are sweeter than pure honey, even honey from the comb! He says, that the words of the Lord give him warning,understanding, and that in keeping them there is GREAT REWARD!
Who doesn't have a sweet tooth? I know that for me there are times that I just crave something sweet, and nothing else that I eat will satisfy my taste buds. An interesting fact that I have learned is that honey is two times as sweet as sugar, and it is actually very beneficial to your health.
So I find it is very fitting that David would make such a claim about the word of God. It satisfies our souls, and nothing can take it's place. So here is my question... Why do we try to find a substitute for God's word? Why do we go to the cupboard when we feel depressed, or tired, or lonely, or board. I use this illustration because we are talking about honey. But I know we all have our own things we go to when we are trying to fill that void, that only God can fill. Why don't we go to God's word first?

Exodus 3:17
And I have promised to bring you up out of your misery in Egypt into the land of the Canaanites, Hittites, Amorites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites—a land flowing with milk and honey.'
Numbers 14:8
If the LORD is pleased with us, he will lead us into that land, a land flowing with milk and honey, and will give it to us
Deuteronomy 6:3
Hear, O Israel, and be careful to obey so that it may go well with you and that you may increase greatly in a land flowing with milk and honey, just as the LORD, the God of your fathers, promised you.

In these verses God sees his people and there suffering, and he has compassion on them. He promises to bring them out of bondage, and bring them into a land flowing with milk and HONEY. But, there is a condition... They must obey the words of the Lord.
It should never be a chore to read the Word of God, because it is a delight. It satisfies us in a way that nothing else can. All other things are imposter's, they may satisfy an itch, but they don't last. Often they lead us away from the Lord, and his will for us.
The Lord wants to bring us into a land flowing with milk and honey, he wants to satisfy you with his word. But, he is not a God who will force our hand and make us spend time with him. He wants us to love him enough to spend time with him, and in doing so He will give us a great reward!












No comments:

Post a Comment