Sunday, October 25, 2009

Meditation of the heart

Psalm 19:14

14 May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be pleasing in your sight,
O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.



The Lord has been speaking a lot to me about this verse. When I go to bed at night, these words play over in my head. When I wake in the morning these words pour forth from my spirit. When I go about my day, he gently corrects me with these words.

I notice that the words of my mouth are a reflection of what my mind is meditating on. So often I find myself grumbling or complaining in my heart... Instead of being thankful, I am sullen. Oh how I want God to change this in me! So I go to His word and I find wonderful verses to encourage me, to teach me how to think.

Philippians 4:8 (Message bible)
Summing it all up, friends, I'd say you'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious—the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse. Put into practice what you learned from me, what you heard and saw and realized. Do that, and God, who makes everything work together, will work you into his most excellent harmonies.


I see in this verse that I have to put into practice what I have learned. I have to work at being positive. It takes effort, but I believe the effort is worth it. I know that God is there to help me.

2 Timothy 3:16-17 (New International Version)
16All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.



Isaiah 55:11 (New King James Version)
11 So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth;
It shall not return to Me void,
But it shall accomplish what I please,
And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.


I cling to these verses because they are filled with promise for me. That God is working in my heart, and his word is transforming me. God is my constant help, and what I can't do by myself he is doing in me.

I hope this is an encouragement to you all well. I pray that you will find rest, peace, and joy in the presence of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

2 comments:

  1. Jennifer,
    those are beautiful words from God. Thank you for sharing them. I need to meditate more on God's Words and less on my own or other people's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, great post Jennifer!

    THanks
    C~

    ReplyDelete