Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Thankful for the little things

When faced with writing my Christmas letter this year, I was a bit apprehensive. I felt like there were so many negative things that happened, and I thought to myself there is just nothing good to write. But, then I realized I was looking at the glass as half empty instead of half full. So I wrote my letter, and it was OK, but then when I went to print it out... the printer is out of ink. So, I will not be sending out a letter this year like I normally do. I thought it was funny in an odd sort of way, symbolic of how this year has been.

John 16:33
"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."


What a wonderful verse! This year we have lost three loved ones in our family. Work has been slow, bills have been large and late, but even through our heartaches and our frustrations, God is faithful! We see his hands upon our lives, and we are comforted by his love. He is our provider, our strength, our peace!

This year has made me even more thankful for the simple things in life. A small humble garden, a homemade compost container, a clothes line that hold two large load of laundry, special moments spent with those I love. It is the simple things in life that I hold most dear, a warm smile, a cheerful embrace, and holding of hands, a kind word shared. These are the things that make life most sweet! I am thankful for each and every one.

Most of all I am thankful for a loving Savior, who came to earth, and taught us how to love, and died on a cross that he did not deserve, and went up into heaven to make a place for me. I am thankful most of all for my Jesus! I am thankful that I know my Grandpa and my Nana are there with him, and I hope my uncle is as well. I am thankful that goodbyes don't have to be forever.

3 comments:

  1. As always, a very well written post! Thank you for your words of inspiration and encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a positive perspective! Thanks for sharing it. :)

    I've always wanted to be among the Christmas card letter writers, but I have yet to do it. One of these years...

    Also, I was thinking as I was reading your post that you could always email your Christmas letter to friends and family. At least to those who have email. I'm sure they would appreciate it just as much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such an inspiration. Thank you for sharing your pain and praise. I know it is not easy, but gives us the strength we need when we need it. He is ever faithful. Merry Christmas, Jennifer.

    ReplyDelete