Thursday, April 1, 2010

Trusting in Jesus

... Proverbs 28:25 He that is of a proud heart stirreth up strife: but he that putteth
his trust in the LORD shall be made fat.

Psalms 125:1 A Song of Ascents. They that trust in the LORD are as mount Zion,
which cannot be moved, but abideth for ever.

Trust in in the Lord, lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5,6


What do you trust in? Is it in your goodness, is it in your wealth, is it in your own wisdom, is it in another person, is it in your government? Where do you place your trust?

There have been many times that I have placed my trust where it didn't belong. There have manytimes I chose to do things my own way. Maybe out of selfishness, maybe out of fear, maybe out of pride...this never works out, it only brings pain, suffering, and loss. Not only for myself but also for others around me. How many times have I let others down because I failed to Trust God? How many messes have I made because I failed to trust God?

There is a song that goes like this: Trust and obey; cause theres no other way; to be happy in Jesus; but to trust and obey...

The Lord and I have been going round and round for many years about my trust issues, about my lack of faith, about my fear of the unknown. He wants me to take steps of faith, that seem so scary to me. I don't know if you have watched the Indiana Jones movies, but there is a scene in one of the movies. Harrison Ford is standing on a cliff,and the enemy is right behind him. He has only one choice step off the cliff, or be killed by the enemy. He chooses to step off the cliff. To his amazement something catches him, and he is able to walk across this invisable bridge to the other side. The bridge was there, even though he couldn't see it at first. I find this to be a perfect word picture, of how God wants us to trust. Faith without seeing, or knowing the outcome.
I find over and over again in the scripture that when God asks his children to trust him, he always gives a promise. Notice that in the verses above. I find that I have to claim those promises over and over again. When I pray I remind God of his word, and his promises. I remind myself of all the times he has been faithful to those who love him. They are there in the stories you read in the bible, and they are even true in my own life. I can look back at the times I really needed him, and I had no choice but to trust him, and He always has pulled me through.

It is the times in my life that I have chosen not to trust in Him, and chose to do things my own way, or chosen to listen to man's wisdom that I have gotten way over my head. I think of the story of Peter walking on the water to Jesus. He was doing great walking on that water, as long as he kept his eyes on Jesus. But as soon he let his eyes wander to the waves crashing around him, he started to sink. He got caught up in the fear of the storm for just a moment. He cried out to Jesus, and Jesus saved him. Jesus asked Peter," Why did you doubt me?"...What is your storm?

I have to believe God can get us out of storms, even when they are self imposed storms. If we have messed up, If we have taken our eyes off of Jesus, If we have tried to do things in our own power, and we have made a total mess of our lives.We can still cry out to Jesus, and ask him to save us. He always will, He always forgives, He is always calling out to us, and saying," take my hand!" Today is the day to start trusting Jesus. There really is no other way!

Lord, today I choose to take that step of faith. I choose to do it your way, because I know that your way is the only way. I have made a mess of things trying to do it on my own. Jesus, I need you to do the impossible in my life. I am tired sinking, I want to float. I need you to hold out your hand, I need you to save me, because I can't do it on my own. I know that you never intended me too. Lord please forgive me, and help me to walk in your ways. Take over my life, and make it what you want it to be. I know that this is the only way that I can truely live!

Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

2 comments:

  1. Very well put and thought provoking, Jennifer. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and your struggles. It is such an encouragement to me! I always enjoy insights!

    ReplyDelete